We wrote our first few blogs on Medium. Medium was easy to get started with and use. After that, the benefits stopped. Medium does not have a sustainable business model but they do have a lot of usage. This kind of incentive misalignment bothers us and we'd rather just avoid it which is why we've ended up deploying a blogging service on our own infrastructure.
I'd encourage you to explore it a bit more on your own by googling around. In the meanwhile, you can check out the very well written Medium vs Ghost article written by the maintainers of Ghost. The highlights are:
- Medium does not have a sustainable business model
- Ghost is a non-profit organization
- You can use your own domain name (e.g. blog.daredata.engineering)
- You can control every aspect of the site (requires technical work)
- You don't have to worry about Medium using your content to promote itself
- No confusing paywalls or signup flows that Medium is introducing more and more of
- The Ghost editor is the same
- Theme marketplace and you can create your own
In case you want to host your own, here's a gitlab repo that contains everything you need to get it deployed in less than an hour in your own AWS account.